According to Walker book “ many artist usually conduct research for art making. Contemporary painters were influenced by Western philosophy and artistic theories.” (Walker, p.38) For me, books and movies usually influenced me to make my artworks. As a teacher, I can always find a way to inspire my students. The world has plenty information to work with, and students are always interested in knowing more about the world’s issues. Walker stated, “Students often fail to make the necessary connection between what they know and the art making task at hand because their knowledge is dormant, or inert. By use one of some simple classroom activates, we can stimulate students’ prior knowledge and build their knowledge base for art making.” (Walker, P.39). For example, we can relate the lesson with writing or reading. Then, the students can have better understanding in what they are doing or what they suppose to make.
The question that I have been always think about is, does the subject matter for art making need to be deep and serious or can everyday topics produce rich art making experience?
The topic for art making shouldn’t be deep or serious. Yet, any everyday topic can be perfect to work with. And the best for students, they should work with something they really like or care about. As a teacher, I can always motivated and encourage my students to think deeply and search more to find more about their topic. For example, when I was in my painting class, my teacher used to pushing me harder to find more about what I am working with. And after graduation, I know that those researches were so helpful to me especially to my art works.
According to Walker book “ A well developed knowledge base is necessary for all student art making. However, art instruction too often provides students with only a technical knowledge base.” (Walker, p45) For example: The development of knowledge base for art making that include research about ideas, subject matter and art making techniques. And related to an artist and study their art works. Finally, creating a series of works can motivate deeper engagement and thinking than making a single work.

No comments:
Post a Comment