Chapter 1 What Works? A Practical Guide for Teacher Research.
Prepwork.
Write about what bothers you.
What tensions do you see in your classroom?
1. Between your students in school and their lives outside of school:
I taught in elementary, middle and high school. I mostly see tension in the middle and high school more than in elementary students. They normally fight for personal issues.
2. Tension between self and administration
Sometimes the administration cannot understand the real situation in the classroom so that they cannot give the right decisions.
3. Tension between own educational background and curriculum
I don’t that there are problem with that because nowadays all the information are available for everyone. And for me, I can always access the web to find out what new in arts and education. I love contemporary art more that traditional arts, and I like the uses of the technology in class.
Prepwork for Scratchwork
What ideas do you have about :
· Student learning
Use both he and she during lectures, discussions, and in writing, and encourage students to do the same.
Convey the same level of respect and confidence in the abilities of all your students.
Listening attentively and responding directly to students' comments and questions.
· Curriculum
Bring in guest lecturers.
· Teaching Strategies
Become more informed about the history and culture of groups other.
Encourage all students to participate in class discussion.
Making eye contact.
· Evaluation, grading, or reflection
Treat students equally.
Giving feedback.
· Subject Matter
How to address student interest in sensitive topics in a classroom setting?
ETHNOCENTRISM
DISCRIMINATION
STEREOTYPING
CULTURAL BLINDNESS
CULTURAL IMPOSITION
· Culture at large or the culture at school
Provide opportunities for all students to get to know each other.
Prepwork for Bridgework
· Where would you go to answer questions?
Other teachers or classmates, library and textbooks, the web.
· Who among colleagues and friends might know something?
Anyone who has the same study field or background.
· Potential sources?
Videos or short clips, newspaper and magazines.
Prepwork for Headwork
· Who are you to do this research
Art educator and an artist.
· Where did own ideas/strategies come from?
My ideas come from everywhere; the world, the natural, and people. I love to know about other and be inspired by other culture.
Prepwork for Legwork
· What would count as evidence
student sketches and projects, artist statements.
· How does a teacher create data
Handouts created on line and printed.
Handouts created on line and printed.
· What student work is appropriate data
artist statements and project of photo of the artwork.
· Which people might you interview
The students and their parents, teachers and administration.
The students and their parents, teachers and administration.
· Which public or private archives to consult
Public library, my textbooks.
· To what professional experts could I turn
Art21, TED, Pp.
· What material might contribute more texture and info to data
My artworks, other artist artworks, other students projects.
Prepwork for Eyework
· Short-term problem and method for solution
I had one little problem last couple days. It was snowing weather and I wanted to go out with my car. The snow covered my car and I don’t have any tool for it. So removed the snow with my umbrella. Then, there were frozen snow on the windows so I open the heater to melt the snow form the windows. Finally, I noticed that there are so much snow around my car that I could it move it. So I called the office to help me! :p
· Long-term problem and method for solution
Long-term problem I had was last two year when I wanted to apply for Universities and to complete the requirements.
I had to make researches, decide, and work hard. I had to make calls and ask friends, packing and make the moving.
· Compare
I see that both are similar in the way to solve it but in short time its just for few hours or days. On the other hand, the long term can take months and years.
In the short term may use quick thinking and decision but long term need long time thinking to give the decision.
Prepwork for Homework
· What do you want to accomplish?
A completed website that serve all students, teachers, parents, administration or anyone interested in art education.
Prepwork for Footwork
· Strengths and support
My biggest fans are my family, friends, and my students.
I can share my works to my classmates and professors.
My dream result is to be able to deliver my ideas and share them with others.
· Drawbacks and weaknesses
The time and the money.
Prepwork for Deskwork
· Organizational habits
Writing on my art diary or journal.
· Adjustments to make in accomplish study
Clean the cabinet is always a good idea.
Shop for new art tools.
· How you visualize a complicated task
I usually make a visual map.
· When in day to review data
In the morning.
Prepwork for Homework
· What do you know about your writing process
I first make notes, make research, write draft one, edit it, and then write final draft.
· For what kinds of audiences/genres have you written
I wrote for my professors and art teachers.
· What questions do you have about writing research
Is everyone participate in the research?
Is everyone has fully understanding in the questions?
Do they have enough time to complete the questions?
· How would you like to disseminate research
Electronic and hard copy.

As we move forward I would like to see you elaborate on your ideas and responses with rich, thick detail. You have a particular interest in multicultural awareness and the use of technology as a potential leveler of the playing field. How can these ideas merge into research that is substantial and doable?
ReplyDelete